Tuesday, September 11, 2012

HYPOCRITE | Angie Hollenbeck Photography| Lacey WA Photographer

 It is a few weeks before my senior year of high school. I have the world at my feet. I am a good student, I have great friends, and I am looking forward to getting the heck out of my small town frame of mind. The phone rings one Saturday (err Sunday?) morning and suddenly things start to spin. It was Liz (one of my close friends) and she tells me that a friend of ours has fallen out of the back of a pick-up truck and didn't make it. 
WHAM- my whole view on life suddenly changes.

  At first I experience anger, shock, confusion...the usual stuff. Then finally emerges the realization that life is short and in a blink of an eye everything can change. Panic sets in and I feel like I should hold everyone close to me and never let them go. These feelings last a few months until one day I get my "aha" moment and realize that I need to treat each day as a blessing and my new slogan becomes "each day comes but once in a lifetime". I vow to "live" more and have more fun...and yet somehow my slogan becomes a poison and indirectly starts to suffocate me. As a matter of fact, it wasn't until I was blessed with a new life (my first son) that the things that truly matter in life surfaced in my mind. I vowed to become a better person and treat each day (and person) as if they are a blessing.

Fast forward a few years (and a few more kids later). I look in the mirror and haven't a clue who is staring back at me. There was a time when I use to look in the mirror and think "eh, not too shabby". Well now I look in the mirror and feel like running for the hills. Simply said- I have a lack of self-confidence (sound familiar)? After three kids, I am pretty sure that happens to a lot of moms.I refuse to get in front of a camera or even go out and meet new people because I am ashamed of me.

So what does this have to do with photography?
Well I am a firm believer that you should know your photographer as more than a business person so this is just a step in that direction. Further more, I read a blog post by one of my photog idols (Rachel Brenke) and she mentioned getting outside of your comfort level. So that is exactly what I have been doing. My first instinct is to run and hide and hope that things will get better...that magically I will wake up one morning feeling confident and in control. Instead- I am taking a few magical steps.
 #1 was getting family photos done. Well, with a possible deployment in my family's future that was the push I needed. The sneak peek can be viewed at Barefoot Photography's blog HERE...and I am SO glad that we got them done.
 Next on my list- meet more people! I am forcing myself outside of my comfort zone for ME and for my business. 
Lastly, I am getting my butt up and working out. Its difficult when so much time is sitting in front of a computer editing and marketing and creating but that excuse can hit the road. I am on it and holding myself accountable. I will be a better mom, wife, photographer, and all around person because of it!

So- why a hypocrite?
I have told people left and right- take care of YOU and never ever let YOU be an excuse not to get family, boudoir, couple, (insert other occasion here) photos done. One day you will look back and regret it. And there it is...hypocrisy! 

So, here is your lesson for today- do not be like I was. Take control and do what you need to do to get past whatever it is keeping you from getting photos done. STEP OUTSIDE YOUR COMFORT ZONE. It will be worth it- I promise. We are not promised tomorrow. And promise yourself that you go out and get your family's photos done. I don't care if its me, another photographer, a family friend, or even a tripod...make an effort and get those photos done. They are sure to be cherished! 
P.S. Thanks Rachel for the added motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment