Monday, February 27, 2012

Making Friends & Establishing Business?

 I cannot believe its Monday already...is it just me or do weekends fly by much to quickly? Along with a million other things, I did a shoot at Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge (hence the photos I attached). I am starting to explore the area (as weather, the kids, and the hubby's work schedule allows) to check out some prime locations for family and portraiture shoots. I can't wait to find more...I drill everyone I meet on pretty places and I have a list of places I want to explore SOON! Well onto the reason for today's blog...

It dawned on me yesterday how truly difficult it can be to be a military spouse, especially one with a business. I'm not going to sit here and have a pity party, because after all...this is the life we chose. I am however going to take a few minutes to explain my frustrations.

As I was walking along one of the quiet paths, I greeted a ton of other photographers and not one took the time to return my "hello". I understand, we are each others "competition" but I mean seriously? My mama didn't raise me to be rude.  I have also read a hundred times (from experienced photographers such as the lovely Rachel Brenke of Rachel Brenke Photography) that it is vital to network with other photographers and learn from one another. I am all about this...I have been fortunate enough to meet some amazing photographers (Lorelei Taylor is one of the kindest) and they have been wonderful enough to answer my many questions. Even though I still have much to learn, I try take time to answer any questions that I can.

This brings me back to the fact that re-establishing (as an Army wife) is HARD! We just moved to Washington from Virginia a few months ago, with a newborn in tow as well as my two little boys. Well now my youngest is only 4 months so its quite hard to get out during the days (thanks a lot winter). So, I have only met a few people while on excursions. I also dont want to get in people's bubble and let them know I am A PHOTOGRAPHER! I do however desperately want to take this lovely "talent" of mine and make a successful, life long business out of it. So, where does one draw the line between promoting themselves and their business and just trying to make some friends!? I want them BOTH!


1 comment:

  1. I think you are awesome. And talented. And very caring and friendly. Your business will do well Ang..
    Give it time:)

    ReplyDelete